get to know heidelberg
You're looking for places to visit while in Germany, so why Heidelberg? Well, there are many reasons, the most well-known being the Schloss. But the museums and castle are not the only things that make Heidelberg the amazing city that it is. There is much more to this city, and here is where you can find out about it.
The oldest university in Germany, the University of Heidelberg continues to be a leading center for scientific and medical research, and the number of students here makes Heidelberg one of the “youngest” cities in Germany. Also, many national and global businesses have either their home, a division, or a research center located in Heidelberg, keeping the city in the forefront of technology, business and research.
Also in this section is information on visiting the city. From finding the visitor’s bureau to the many different ways of getting around the city, check this area for useful tips to make your trip to Heidelberg more enjoyable.
- getting to Heidelberg Heidelberg is centrally located on the West side of Germany, about one hour south of Frankfurt and one hour north Stuttgart. read more »
- getting around in Heidelberg Once you get to Heidelberg, how do you plan on getting around? There are many options for transportation in and around Heidelerg, and all of them can take you where you want. read more »
- weather & climate Heidelberg's climate is relatively mild, with lows ranging from 29°F (1.5°C) to 57°F (14°C) and highs between 38°F (3°C) and 77°F (25°F). Average rainfall is around 2.5 inches (6.3 cm). read more »
- Heidelberg tourist information Contact information for the Visitor's Bureau and information about the HeidelbergCard, a discount pass for many sights in the city, as well as informatin on the German-American Institute. read more »
- history The history of the city and region of Heidelberg, from the earliest inhabitants over 550,000 years ago up to today. This history covers many wars and many more ruling Prince Electors. It also chronicles the growth of the city from a small fortress ... read more »