The oldest part of the city, the Altstadt sits just below the Schloss. It extends along the river for a mile, with Karlstor on one end, and Bismarckplatz on the other. In between, is a wonderful combination of old and new buildings, narrow streets, market squares, arts, history, science, shopping, eating and relaxing.
The Hauptstraße is the main road through the Altstadt, and is where most of the shopping is centered. Other points of interest that can be found in the Altstadt include the Marktplatz, the Kornmarkt, the Church of the Holy Ghost, the Palatinate Museum, Synagogue Square, The University, Marstall, Heuscheuer, the Friedrich Memorial, and the Old Bridge.
- heidelberg convention centerThe Convention Center, completed in 1903, is in the Altstadt district on the banks of the Neckar.read more »
- corn marketThis market square, as its name implies, was once used for the collection and trade of agricultural goods.read more »
- heuscheuerToday used primarily by the University for lectures, the Heuscheuer was originally a communal granary built in the 18th century from the remains of part of the city wall.read more »
- madonna at the corn marketThis statue, located in the Corn Market, was erected in 1718 by the Jesuits, to try to motivate the people of Heidelberg to switch to Catholicism.read more »
- market squareJust like the center of any town or city in Europe, the Market Square in Heidelberg is always is filled with activity.read more »
- marstallAlthough the building that gave Marstall its name was destroyed by the French in 1693, its name has survived.read more »
- old bridgePrince Elector Carl Theodor built the Old Bridge in 1786. Although the fifth bridge built over the Neckar in this location, it was the first stone bridge to be ...read more »
- town hallWork began in 1701 on the building of a new Town Hall after the War of the Palatinate Succession left much of the city in ruins, including the original Town Hall.read more »
- zum ritter st. georgThis hotel and restaurant sits directly opposite the Church of the Holy Spirit on the Hauptstrasse.read more »