Although the building that gave Marstall its name was destroyed by the French in 1693, its name has survived. It was originally a stables and armory for the castle, built sometime during the early 1500’s. It also had places to moor ship right next to the building, for the loading and unloading of supplies. Since it was rebuilt in the 1800’s, it has been remodelled several times. Today it is used by the University.