church of the holy ghost
One of the few buildings in Heidelberg to survive the many wars during the past centuries, the Church of the Holy Ghost stands reverently in the Marktplatz. And even though the foundation was laid in 1398, it took until 1544 to finish the tower. The church has been home to Catholics and Protestants alike throughout the centuries. In 1706 a divider separating the two denominations was put in when both wanted to have services there, and it remained until the 1930’s. The church also has remains of the tombs and epitaphs of the Palatinate electors as well as a collection of manuscripts.